This is Charles Brett’s start-of-the-week Enterprise Times ‘blockchain catch-up’ Week 42. Necessarily it is idiosyncratic and selective.
It is not intended to be comprehensive but does seek to highlight ‘Quick Takes’ on specific developments as well interesting pieces to read, a listing of some (not all) announcements/press releases and pointers to upcoming events.
Quick Takes – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up Week 42
Will the revolution be tokenised: governments, blockchain and the digital space race
As Laurence Wintermeyer writes: “For governments, assessing blockchain’s disruptive potential is both a practical challenge and a philosophical one. The raison d’etre of many public institutions is the provision of public goods, and the underwriting of rights and the social contract – functions that blockchain’s pioneers sought to replace with cryptography, networks, and protocols. Whether this technology will be used to displace or complement traditional governance models is an open question, as is its ability to deliver such transformation.”
Quick Take: The OECD’s 4th Annual Blockchain Policy Forum 2021 addressed several of the opportunities and challenges, where the intersection of technology and governance needs to disentangle blockchain’s promise from its reality. While some governments may aspire to improved models of social and economic connection, the question remains: how? Those who have an interest in this space, which arguably should be most of us, should refer to the Blockchain Policy Forum proceedings.
7 pieces to read – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up Week 42
- Oracles: the invisible backbone of DeFi and applied blockchain apps
- Asset tokenization – a business guide
- Blockchain technology, a practical solution to vaccine verification systems
- Evaluation and classification risks of implementing blockchain in the drug supply chain with a new hybrid sorting method
- Cryptocurrencies: the FT crypto glossary (paywall)
- Building equity along the blockchain (podcast)
- Global standards for digital currencies (CBDCs).
Selected announcements/press releases/opinions – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up Week 42
- Explained: Blockchains and their disruptive power (opinion)
- Blockchain technology: how it works and how it is changing everything (opinion)
- Crypto breaks Wall Street’s ETF barrier: A watershed moment or stopgap? (opinion)
- University project to unlock blockchain (announcement)
- OTB joins Cartier on the AURA Blockchain Consortium (announcement)
- Blockchain startup SkyThread establishes senior advisory board (announcement)
- DeFi platform EQIFI launches crypto Mastercards, backed by a regulated bank (announcement)
Blockchain World Uploads DCS 2021 (not a typical blockchain event, Blockchain World seeks to be a fun, interactive blockchain festival) (announcement)
- Polygon and DraftKings enter into a strategic blockchain agreement (announcement).
Selected upcoming events
- Crypto Valley Conference (October 28-29th, 2021; Rotkreuz, Switzerland)
- LA Blockchain Summit (November 2nd-3rd, 2021)
- Blockchain Conference/Blockchain Expo Europe 2021 (November 23rd-24th, 2021)
- Blockchance Europe 2021 (December 8th-10th, 2021 – was July 7th-9th, 2021)
- Crypto Finance Conference (San Moritz, January 2022)
- Bitcoin 2022 (April 6th-9th, 2022).