BigCommerce has rolled out a new integration with global payments platform Adyen. The integration gives more than 60,000 merchants on BigCommerce access to an all-in-one payments solution. Through this integration, merchants can offer local payment options and alternative payment methods at checkout in over 145 currencies.
According to a recent study undertaken by Adyen only 42% of merchants view the offering of local payment methods to international shoppers of high importance for their business. The majority (53%) of shoppers have made an online purchase with a merchant in another country.
The report found that over half of respondents abandoned at least one online purchase due to their preferred payment method NOT being on offer in the past six months. This has resulted in £212bn in abandoned sales annually.
The company supports global credit and debit cards like Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. The platform also supports local credit and debit cards like WeChat Pay (China), iDeal (Benelux), Giropay (Germany) and ACH Direct Debit (US). Merchants can offer a variety of options that meet the needs of their local and international shoppers. A dynamic checkout ensures that the consumer will only see the options that are available for their chosen currency.
Importance of payments platform
According to Jim Herbert, EMEA GM for BigCommerce, “Consumers are more likely to complete the checkout if they can pay using their preferred payment method with home currency. Merchants need access to tools that can provide that localised experience to international shoppers.”
Herbert added, “BigCommerce is committed to working with partners that can meet the needs of our global merchant base. One of the most well-respected and rapidly-growing payments platforms worldwide, Adyen safely opens up these new capabilities for our customers.”
Benefits of Adyen Integration
With Adyen, BigCommerce merchants in Europe and APAC will have the ability to:
- Add most major payment methods to checkout. Adyen integrates local payment methods into the checkout so merchants can expand their businesses into any country.
- Manage fraud. Through Adyen’s risk management system RevenueProtect, merchants can create risk rules to minimise fraud without impacting genuine transactions. With supporting gateways, merchants also get access to an additional layer of fraud protection with 3D Secure 2.0 (3DS2).
- Store credit cards. With this integration, merchants will be able to enable credit card vaulting on their website. This provides customers a convenient way to get through the checkout process quickly and easily.
- Leverage the latest innovations. The integration will ensure merchants stay up to date with the latest innovations, as updates will automatically be rolled out. Customers will have access to new payment experiences and compliance tools such as 3DS2, straight away.
- Reduce risk. Adyen will collect the sensitive cardholder data securely via the custom card web components within the integration. This will reduce the PCI DSS-compliance requirements for BigCommerce merchants while being fully PCI compliant.
“Global expansion has just become easier for BigCommerce merchants,” said Roelant Prins, CCO of Adyen. “This new, seamless integration will allow their customers to pay the way they want, no matter where in the world they are. We’re really excited by this partnership and look forward to watching the growth of our new merchants.”
Existing BigCommerce merchants can activate the Adyen integration directly within their BigCommerce control panel.
Enterprise Times: What this means for business?
The beauty of selling on the internet, is that the world is truly your oyster. Needless to say, online shoppers want to use their preferred payment methods as they do in-store. However, Adyen’s research suggests that 7 in 10 shoppers abandoned an online shopping cart at least once in the past six months. This was largely due to difficulties completing a purchase. This results in that staggering figure of £257bn in lost annual sales. BigCommerce is a growing ambitious eCommerce solution vendor, so there is no surprise it has added Adyen payment integration to the platform. Another sensible move from BigCommerce.