This is Charles Brett’s start-of-the-week Enterprise Times ‘blockchain catch-up’ 2022-Week 29. Necessarily it is idiosyncratic and selective.
It is not intended to be comprehensive but does seek to highlight ‘Quick Takes’ on specific developments as well interesting pieces to read, a listing of some (not all) announcements/press releases and pointers to upcoming events.
Quick Take(s) – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 29
Crypto layoffs accelerate
OpenSea, Blockchain.com (see below), Coinbase and Gemini are among firms making mass job cuts. As CoinDesk describes it, “The unrelenting crypto winter has continued to hit all corners of the industry, forcing some of the biggest players to curb their growth ambitions. As these crypto companies aim to stay afloat, CoinDesk has compiled a list of industry players that have cut back on staff. By our count, an estimated 3,726 crypto jobs have been lost as of July 21, 2022, based on media reports and press releases. …”
Quick Take: that this is happening should be no great surprise. Will it continue? Will it affect the blockchain promoters (FYI, the Gemini mentioned above is that of the Winkelvoss Brother, not Cap Gemini). There is plenty of potential for even more job losses.
7 pieces to read – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 29
- Blockchain in finance: what it is and how it’s used (with examples)
- Heat wave — energy vs. climate — crypto spotlight (podcast)
- You can transform the world with blockchain: Dr. Jane Thomason
- How blockchain technology is used to save the environment
- Cryptocurrency and blockchain 101: Episode 6 – public blockchains (video)
- Blockchain without crypto: adoption of decentralized tech
- Chancellor of the Exchequer: UK to explore blockchain-based government bond.
Selected announcements/press releases/opinions – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 29
- Blockchain will power ‘the back office of the world’ in 5 to 10 years (opinion)
- Building on the blockchain? Here’s what you need to know (opinion)
- BNY Mellon and Goldman Sachs settle first HQLAᵡ Agency Securities Lending transactions (announcement)
- Mercedes Benz launches blockchain-based data sharing platform (announcement)
- Human Protocol introduces new blockchain coordination layer for data contribution (announcement)
- SABIC launches blockchain pilot for digital traceability of certified circular Trucircle Feedstock (announcement)
- Blockchain.com says goodbye to 25% of its staff, (and) closes its Argentina office. (announcement)
- CordaCon 2022 (27th-28th September, 2022)
- Bitcoin Amsterdam (12th-14th October, 2022)
- LA Blockchain Summit 2022 (1st-3rd November, 2022)
- Crypto and Digital Assets Summit – Winter Edition (28th November, 2022)
- Bitcoin Conference (18th-20th May, 2023).