This is Charles Brett’s start-of-the-week Enterprise Times ‘blockchain catch-up’ 2022-Week 7. Necessarily it is idiosyncratic and selective.
It is not intended to be comprehensive but does seek to highlight ‘Quick Takes’ on specific developments as well interesting pieces to read, a listing of some (not all) announcements/press releases and pointers to upcoming events.
Quick Takes – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 7
FSB: assessment of risks to financial stability from crypto-assets
“Crypto-asset markets are fast evolving and could reach a point where they represent a threat to global financial stability due to their scale, structural vulnerabilities and increasing interconnectedness with the traditional financial system. This (FSB) report examines developments and associated vulnerabilities relating to three segments of the crypto-asset markets: unbacked crypto-assets (such as Bitcoin); stablecoins; and decentralised finance (DeFi) and other platforms on which crypto-assets trade. These three segments are closely interrelated in a complex and constantly evolving ecosystem and need to be considered holistically when assessing related financial stability risks.”
Quick Take: given all the noise and furor about crypto, this Financial Stability Board report is an important read. As the FT says (see below) – “what worries the FSB might be summed up in four L-words: legality, leverage, liquidity and leakage”. None of these can, or should, be ignored.
7 pieces to read – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 7
- Criminals amass US$11B via illegal sources
- Fidelity: “Twelvefold increase in cryptocurrency donations“
- Cryptocurrencies akin to Ponzi schemes, says Reserve Bank of India deputy
- Innovation and experimentation: Spain’s blockchain sector in 2021
- Regulators have cryptocurrencies in their sights (behind FT paywall)
- Kickstarter is pumping the brakes on blockchain tech, but the car is still moving
- Chainalysis claims the bulk of ransomware payments head to Russia.
Selected announcements/press releases/opinions – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 7
- Inside the blockchain developers’ mind: Can EOS deliver a killer social DApp? (opinion)
- What is the blockchain? Definition, features, companies, and top applications for immersive technology (opinion)
- 5 blockchain security issues and how to prevent them (opinion)
- Justice Department announces first Director of National Cryptocurrency Enforcement Team (announcement)
- Syngenta and HSBC complete paperless trade finance transaction on the TradeLens Platform … (announcement)
- JPMorgan Chase, Toshiba and Ciena build the first quantum key distribution network used to secure mission-critical blockchain application (announcement)
- Blockchain/Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) risk and security considerations (report)
- Global fintech blockchain market size 2022 … (report).
Selected upcoming events
- Digital Assets Week (21-25 March 2022)
- Bitcoin 2022 (April 6th-9th, 2022)
- Paris Blockchain Week Summit (12-14th April 2022).