This is Charles Brett’s start-of-the-week Enterprise Times ‘blockchain catch-up’ 2022-Week 26. Necessarily it is idiosyncratic and selective.
It is not intended to be comprehensive but does seek to highlight ‘Quick Takes’ on specific developments as well interesting pieces to read, a listing of some (not all) announcements/press releases and pointers to upcoming events.
Quick Take(s) – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 26
EU agrees on landmark regulation to clean up crypto ‘Wild West
The European Commission, EU lawmakers and member states hammered out an agreement on reforms Thursday, 30th June 2022. The new law, known as Markets in Crypto-Assets (MiCA), is the first attempt at creating a comprehensive regulatory framework for digital assets in the region. EU lawmaker Stefan Berger said the rules will “put order in the Wild West of crypto assets.”
Quick Take: this matters, especially in an environment when the crypto world is all over the place. For another write up see Politico in Europe.
7 pieces to read – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 26
- Basel revises bank crypto capital plan to include blockchain
- The perils of blockchain analysis
- Hacker exploits Harmony blockchain bridge, loots $100M in crypto
- Jumpstarting blockchain adoption through education
- Why trusted execution environments will be integral to proof-of-stake blockchains
- Crypto is crashing but the (blockchain) tech behind it could save luxury brands billions
- Blockchain not just for bitcoin: it can secure and store genomes, too.
Selected announcements/press releases/opinions – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 26
- Top offering in cross-chain enables blockchain interoperability (opinion)
- MIT professor believes DeFi can reduce banking power (opinion)
- 3 things blockchain projects can do to grow merchant acceptance (opinion)
- ConnectOne Bank on how blockchain tokens are revolutionizing transactions (opinion)
- Societe Generale – FORGE Partners with METACO to expand its institutional digital assets capabilities (announcement)
- B2B payments platform Tribal joins the Blockchain Association (announcement).
- CordaCon 2022 (27th-28th September 2022)
- Bitcoin Amsterdam (12th-14th October 2022)
- LA Blockchain Summit 2022 (1st-3rd November 2022).