This is Charles Brett’s start-of-the-week Enterprise Times ‘blockchain catch-up’ 2022-Week 24. Necessarily it is idiosyncratic and selective.
It is not intended to be comprehensive but does seek to highlight ‘Quick Takes’ on specific developments as well interesting pieces to read, a listing of some (not all) announcements/press releases and pointers to upcoming events.
(Please note that this Blockchain Catch-up-Week 24 covers/combines both Weeks 23 and 24.)
Quick Takes – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 24
UK Digital Strategy
The UK Government has published its ‘UK Digital Strategy’. According to the Minister for Tech and the Digital Economy “the UK should always enthusiastically celebrate the success of our digital businesses and champion our global leadership in areas such as fintech. The success and wealth created by investors and founders of digital business is a national success, to be applauded, encouraged and emulated – not criticised”.
Quick Take: read this policy paper and find pious platitudes throughout with copious superfluous adjectives. There is no mention of blockchain or crypto. Indeed, it is a dismal document for such an important topic. For confirmation, go straight to the ‘Annex – summary of actions’, which reveals few – and oh, so many intentions. A depressing paper.
7 pieces to read – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 24
- How we can encode human rights in the blockchain
- Senators propose industry-friendly cryptocurrency bill (behind WSJ paywall)
- Blockchain — and the world — explained
- Making blockchain stop wasting energy by getting it to manage energy
- Blockchain in action: taming complexity, costs in the insurance business
- The privacy paradox in blockchain: best practices for data management in crypto
- No ‘redline’ argument against CBDC, says BoE official.
Selected announcements/press releases/opinions – Charles Brett’s Blockchain Catch-up 2022-Week 24
- How the Feds are prosecuting NFT insider trading scheme as wire fraud – and why that matters (opinion)
- DeFi pulls the curtain on financial magic, says EU Blockchain Observatory expert (opinion)
- 4 ideas for starting a blockchain business (opinion)
- Yes, crypto is crashing again. Blockchain will survive (opinion, behind NYT paywall)
- These 4 concepts will help you understand blockchain (opinion)
- Will trust prevail in the pursuit of blockchain superiority? (opinion)
- Why blockchain is more efficient than a traditional database (opinion, video)
- BNY Mellon, Barclays, 12 banks trial Finteum blockchain intraday FX swaps, repo (announcement)
- Have a big blockchain idea? You could get $100,000 to develop it (announcement).
Selected upcoming events
- CordaCon 2022 (27th-28th September, 2022)
- LA Blockchain Summit 2022 (1st-3rd November, 2022).